Old 10-06-18, 11:03 AM   #10862
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBones View Post
The display of the ensign and jack on US Navy vessels is as follows:

When moored (either pierside, at a buoy, or at anchor) the ensign is flown from the fantail flagstaff and the jack at the bow jackstaff (that's why it's called the "jackstaff"). In certain circumstances (George Washington's birthday, the 4th of July and any other specially ordered "full dress ship" holiday), the ensign may be displayed at the fantail and at the main truck.

When getting underway, the colors are shifted immediately when the last mooring line is taken in from the pier, or the mooring shackle is released from the buoy, or the anchor is aweigh. Shifting colors means the jack and ensign at the fantail are lowered smartly and the "steaming" ensign is immediately hoisted, or "broken" at the main truck.

For a thorough explanation of the Royal Navy's flag etiquette, you might try the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship, Vol. I, Ch. 14 (in my 1964 edition anyway).
Thank you for CaptBones,

your detailed explainations seem to grossly confirm what I had found so far on the topic, but I have a few questions:

- does the same rule applly to merchant as well as military vessels?

- is the information I had previously collected (i.e. hoisting the ensign to the extremity of a gaff rigged on the mainmast) a valid alternative to hoisting it to the maintruck while underway, or that was wrong?

- when required, where are broad pennants and house flags hoisted relative to the ensign?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote