CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208
Uploads: 0

Default USN Flag "etiquette"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Hi Fifi,

I think the flag etiquette varies slightly from country to country, and dependig if the vessel is at anchor or underway. I cannot talk about Soviet rules, but it is my understanding that as far as the Commonwealth is concerned, the correct place for flying the ensign is at any time the ensign staff at each vessel's stern. This code also applies to US vessels when they are motionless, but for practical reasons, when they are are underway they are allowed to fly their ensign from a gaff rigged on the aft mast (i.e. a slanted yard departing from them); that said, I ignore if there is a rule that prevents them from flying the ensign from their stern also while at sea.
The display of the ensign and jack on US Navy vessels is as follows:

When moored (either pierside, at a buoy, or at anchor) the ensign is flown from the fantail flagstaff and the jack at the bow jackstaff (that's why it's called the "jackstaff"). In certain circumstances (George Washington's birthday, the 4th of July and any other specially ordered "full dress ship" holiday), the ensign may be displayed at the fantail and at the main truck.

When getting underway, the colors are shifted immediately when the last mooring line is taken in from the pier, or the mooring shackle is released from the buoy, or the anchor is aweigh. Shifting colors means the jack and ensign at the fantail are lowered smartly and the "steaming" ensign is immediately hoisted, or "broken" at the main truck.

For a thorough explanation of the Royal Navy's flag etiquette, you might try the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship, Vol. I, Ch. 14 (in my 1964 edition anyway).
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote