View Single Post
Old 01-31-23, 06:17 AM   #9
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
1. No, that mod did not cause it. But if you had corrupted data in the Save folder from the CTD, that could cause a similar issue, hence the suggestion to empty the Save folder. See the other thread about correcting the Captain Midnight radio mod's config with Digital_Trucker's RSM mod, but you do still need to delete the Save folder data to clear those bad DD "convoys"...
2. Some game versions and mods had improperly "docked" ships in what are called RGG (Random Generated Groups), that instead of being "anchored" and set at zero knots speed to sit alongside a dock, instead were not "anchored" and had the default 5 knots speed still set, which then allows the ships to travel around the world. When the game then runs, the game's internal database tracks where the ships are continually, and every so many hours (generally about once every few months) will "spawn" another ship to replace the one that left the dock... Since they are all set to the same "heading" (ie: 24 degrees true), they all follow the same track. Since the game does not check for collisions until a ship is actually within the player's sub area and then actually generates the 3D ship, they never run aground, and just continue on their merry way. When your player sub gets within approximately 32nm of where the ship(s) are tracking, then they spawn into the 3D world, and start "stealing bandwidth" from the game. There might only be three or four near you, so you wouldn't notice an impact, but later in the war, that number might be 3 or 4 dozen, or perhaps hundreds of ships, which is when you get a CTD, because the game cannot handle that amount of data.

Open your game folder, and right-click on the SH4.exe file, and click on the "Properties" menu choice. Then click on the "Details" tab, and about the middle of that page is the "Product Version:" such as 1.3.1.0, or 1.5.0.0 - what number do you have for yours?
Thanks so very much for this explanation. I never realized what is going on in the guts of a computer simulation game or mod. It boggles my mind. And I have greater respect and appreciation for the efforts of those who build these mods.
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote