View Single Post
Old 01-10-19, 04:03 PM   #59
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I've been reading on some of the real navigation mods, and the issue they had with celestial bodies and the game's use of "local time". What I've experienced before with that is a loaded Save will sometimes take on the local "local time", in place of the 'Home time'. ie: Sunrise near Pearl might be 6:15a, but near Honshu, it's more like 11:15a. You play the game in your first sitting, traveling from Pearl to Midway to Honshu, and night is night, day is day for Pearl time, but might not be for Honshu time. You save the game, exit & come back the next day, and day is day now in Honshu, and you notice that you're on Honshu time, not Pearl time. Not always, but sometimes. Then, you've found that TC can influence how accurately the clock runs, with the game apparently not "locking" the 'earth' cylinder of the game with the 'sky' sphere of the game, apparently relying on 29.97 (30) fps to keep things synced. Seemingly related issues.
To be clear, If you are playing mostly in Time Compression, the game stays in sync much better than if you are playing at 1x with high frame rates. 30fps is recommended to keep the game in sync while in 1x. If you are playing in Time Compression, high frame rates affect the sync only while you are in 1x, such as making attacks or defending. Although the error can accumulate while you are playing at 1x, it seems to be insignificant overall when you are playing Time Compression.
I just completed a transit from Pearl to Midway to Honshu and kept track of my sunsets, sunrises, and some moon-rises and moon-sets. I used 512x time compression for the transit and some short 1x play sequences. I recorded incredibly accurate times for all the sunset, surnrise, moonset, moonrise. The SH4 team did a remarkable job making this work so well in Time Compression.

I have discovered that even when you are based out of Pearl, you are using Midway Base time, 11 hours west of GMT (UTC). I just arrived off the coast of Bungo Suido on an Insertion Mission. The Celestial Sphere has tracked perfectly all along the way.
I am playing FOTRSUv80 in a Balao out of Pearl, January 1944 and the quit/start/load/reload does NOT work. I have to quit/start/load to come back into the game. Sometimes when there is a load glitch, such as the Radio is already playing and I can't turn it off, I have to do a lot of quit/restart/load-ing to finally get one of the saves to load properly. It's a PITA, but it works and anyway I'm having fun! (Aren't I?)

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote