View Single Post
Old 07-16-12, 01:55 AM   #33
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

To those reporting problems with installation of the Stiebler4A Addon:
[CTD = Crash to desktop]

It is very likely (from previous experience reported to H.sie and to me) that the problems are caused by incorrect *alteration* or *installation* of existing files.

1. Incorrect Alteration of Files.
The serious difficulties are caused with menu_1024_768.ini, where it is necessary 1) to change a few entries; 2) to *renumber* a large block after the changed entries.

Failure to alter files en(or de)_menu.txt and commands_en(de).txt correctly is unlikely to cause CTDs, although it may cause some mods to function incorrectly.

Incorrect alteration of the campaign_SCR file will certainly cause CTDs. This alteration is necessary for the CAM-ship mod, and a lot of people reported trouble with this with GWX when my older patch Stiebler3A was released (I don't know why). If you restore your original campaign_SCR.mis file, the CAM ship mod will not operate, but you will not get CTDs from this cause either.

2. Incorrect Position of Files.
The other big problem is that of placing files in their correct position in folders. Each new file supplied is intended to overwrite the existing file of the same name. If it doesn't, the new file serves no purpose - and the original file may now cause a CTD.

To change around the different AI_Sensors.dat files will not remove CTDs, although it will alter the way the sensors operate. The AI_Sensors_WP.dat is a small file created by H.sie for the wolf-packs, as guessed previously.

As I stated clearly in the first post of this thread, the Stiebler4A Addon patch is intended only for users who have the skills and experience to make some difficult changes to their installations of SH3. I cannot make a general release, because there are so many other mods out there that also need to be included.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote