View Single Post
Old 04-12-18, 08:48 AM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

The Silent War by Craven is great, I did a book club on it with some of my friends, with a video of the meeting on my channel (shameless plug):

Friends of mine said it could be difficult to read at times, whereas I did not encounter that at all. That could be because of my engineering background. Craven does talk in a scientific prose at times, especially when delving into specific problems. But overall, a quite good book.

Blind Man's Bluff is interesting, I haven't read it in years. Other books like The Silent War and Red November by W. Craig Reed (which is also good) kind of refute some of the specifics of Blind Man's Bluff, but I can't remember the details.

Red November discusses the author's father's role in eavesdropping on Soviet subs and pinpointing them based on their radio transmissions. It also talks about the four Soviet Foxtrot submarines around Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The back half of the book details the author's time as a member of the fire control party aboard a Sturgeon and his role as a Navy diver. It's pretty good.

There's also Stalking the Red Bear, which is rather short. It details one American sub's Holystone mission off Murmansk based on interviews with the Captain. Good, but short.

And I just recently finished The Taking of K-129, which focused on Project Azorian and the CIA's attempt to recover a sunken Soviet ballistic missile submarine. This book focuses a lot on the building of the Glomar Explorer and how truly groundbreaking and revolutionary the technology developed for it was. It of course discusses the operation itself, as well. It was a solid read.

On the fiction side, The Trident Deception by Rick Campbell was a pretty good read. Felt rather Clancy-esque. I've yet to read any more of his work, but this book was also quite good.

There's plenty of stuff out there! Lots of good ones, I don't know that I've read a particularly bad one yet. The non-fiction ones usually all have at least one thing in them that I had not heard prior to reading.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote