View Single Post
Old 10-18-20, 08:15 PM   #21
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
Purchased this a few days ago. Kinda interesting, BUT, how useful is it with different speed torpedos. Do you have to separately "look up" lead angles for various "own" ship intercept heading(s) combined with different torp speed settings? Incidentally, I'm in the process of making a spreadsheet that does just that and that's why I question whether this device accommodates these various torp speed/intercept angle combinations.

For instance (SH4): using the vector analysis attack rules and the in-sim measuring tools (and just a zero gyro angle shot to keep things simple):

Let's say you are 80 degrees to the Target course using a Mk 14 at high speed (46 kts). and the target is moving 7 kts. The lead angle is approx. 8 degrees (set the optics to 72 degrees).

If you use the Mk 14 at slow speed (31 Kts), and everything else remains the same, the lead angle is approx. 12 degrees (set the optics to 68 degrees).

These lead angles also change according to the "own" ship course relative to the target course

For example again using the Mk 14 at high speed (46 kts), and the target is still moving at 7 kts, but instead you are 45 degrees to the target, the lead angle is approx. 6 degrees instead of 8 as above.

and if you use the Mk 14 at slow speed (31 kts), target still moving 7 kts, and you are 45 degrees to the target, the lead angle is approx. 8 degrees instead of 12 as above.

Nowhere in the tutorial(s) for this device did I find anything allowing for different torpedo speed settings for the various lead angle computations. I suspect (though I may be wrong), that the device is probably only good for a specific speed torpedo (maybe the German torpedos that were in use).
It’s there. Please watch the lead angle ones carefully. It’s simply a matter of aligning the correct torpedo speed on the speed ring. The examples I put in the tutorials are just that - examples. They don’t mean that the numbers in them are all you can use. A slide rule is a calculator. Just as you can punch whatever numbers you want into a pocket calculator, so can you align whatever numbers you want on a slide rule.

Be advised though - the distance scale is calibrated to meters. All that means to go to imperial though is one extra step, not a big deal. That has no impact however on lead angle calculations.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote