View Single Post
Old 07-19-10, 05:23 PM   #23
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

2 cents worth of advice if it's wanted.

*have a clearly defined goal. Remind yourself of this goal so you don't stray from it.

* do not attempt to do it all yourself.
Unless you like long hours, little sleep, lots of coffee, being grumpy, no life and having a sore ass from long hours in a computer chair. Or you want full creative control of the mod and don't like telling others what to do.

*delegate based on talents.
Every modder is best at something. Many can do many things, but they have areas of expertise they shine in. If you work with others, let them take on areas they're most interested or talented in. They're motivation will be higher, and the end work better. Try not to be critical if you don't agree with the results.

* being blunt doesn't always work.
When dealing with other modders you always have to watch what you say. It can, at times, be Kinda like tap dancing in a mine field. Finesse is best, but don't manipulate them. If you do, and they see you doing it, they could come to resent you for years to come. (Had it done to me, so i know)

* Exercise time management, and prioritize whats being worked on.
There are LOTS of problems to solve. It's more economical to work on 1 or more items you KNOW you can fix, then just one thing you THINK you can fix. And even then, not all problems are worth addressing right away. IMO priorize based on what directly effects the player the most. What do they see the most of?. The more the player directly interacts with it (whatever it is), the greater importance it has.
Side note. Eyecandy should always come in last place unless you have people where making eyecandy is all they do. Form without function is just a hallow shell.

* Keep the supermod in "modular form" while working on it. It makes it easier to revert changes, and its easier on your hard drive. Compile everything into one JSGME mod when your ready to publish. Until then, keep everything subdivided into JSGME modlets with no file conflicts. Use naming conventions with each modlet that denotes what it does.

* Do this, because you WANT to do this.
Not because you feel you have to. Create the game you want, your motivation will be higher. Tell yourself that If the end users don't like your vision of the game, then they can make their own.

That is advice only. Before anyone asks or insinuates. The answer is no.

You don't want me near you.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote