View Single Post
Old 02-03-19, 05:15 PM   #11
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

PROPER SURFACING PROCEDURE - U-Boat Commander Handbook section 2, B , 26.

When traveling for some time under water (at least one hour) and wishing to surface, the UBCH tells us to do the following:

1) A hydrophone check should be completed (preferably manual check by commander) at a safe depth, and at "sound location speed". This safety depth is listed as 20m, though I will change this according to sea state. The safe depth is to protect the boat from accidental ramming of a surface ship. The sound location speed is 4 or less knots. We want to keep the boat moving in case of an emergency crash dive is called for.

2) The boat should now go rapidly through the "danger zone" to periscope depth. The danger zone defined as the area between safety depth and periscope depth. I do caution commanders on going too fast to periscope depth. You can broach the surface with your bridge in choppy seas so use discretion.

3) A sweep of the surface with and without magnification is completed. If possible, we should utilize the obersvation scope too, and sweep the sky for planes.

4) A new depth of 9m is called (although I dont believe we can go to the bridge at this depth, so I use decks awash). The commander and one watchman go to the bridge. A sweep of the horizon is completed with binoculars (UZO).

5) When an all clear is given, the compressed air cells can be completely emptied of water, and the boat can come up to the surface.

How many of you actually do this?

Last edited by bstanko6; 03-06-19 at 12:09 AM.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote