View Single Post
Old 01-28-19, 05:36 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

DECK GUN GUIDE PER THE UBOAT COMMANDERS HANDBOOK

I bought a copy of the U-boat commander's handbook (UCHB), and I was surprised to see such detail in how to properly handle this weapon.

Reading over other topics in SUBSIM, I noticed a lack of deck gun rhetoric. So I was hoping to share deck gun tactics I use along with the UCHB. Besides, in the movie 'Das Boot', the "old man" tells us that torpedoes are worth 35,000 marks! Too expensive!

FIRST CONTACT: Sinking a ship with the deck gun can be a long, attention-drawing, process. I choose to use flank speed, and ALWAYS point the bow of my boat directly at the target ship! I am looking to get behind the ship, not meet it head on. This gives the merchant a slim profile that is hard to spot even in clear weather, daylight conditions. Although any attack should be at night. This is not always the case. If the ship is heading directly at you, you may need to adjust your route to the target, or simply submerge until it passes you to keep the element of surprise.

Objective: Get as close as possible as fast as possible without being seen, not paying attention to where the ship is heading. You aim to be at the stern, and slightly behind the target at the moment of attack.

EN ROUTE: As you are getting closer to your target, the deck gun crew should NOT be called up yet until around 2000 meters. You want as many eyes as possible to keep a look out for airplanes and warships that may enter your combat area. If they do show up at this great range from your target, you can safely choose to abort the attack.

Objective: While traveling, you must maintain your boat's bow-facing-to-target discipline. I usually play with the manual rudder dial to find the sweet spot that allows my boat to turn with the merchant. Early war, you scan the horizon for warships and planes, but mid to late war, you are scanning the target ship for weapons. Even though merchants can't hit the ocean with three tries, they can get lucky sometimes. No need for burials at sea.

2000 METERS: I first select the WO, then select the deck gun icon. From here I make sure the "HOLD FIRE" (the little hand picture) is selected. If you do not do this, the crew will start firing as soon as you call them to their station. Call up the deck gun and AA crew. I always do this. There is no reason not to have an AA gun ready for action. If I am 2000 meters from my target, I am not diving for an airplane now, even if I have to shoot it down myself!

Objective: To be ready for action. If the ship sees you coming, it may zig-zag, or begin firing at you. You will already be in a good firing position to take her out. If you maintain your profile on the approach, then you will worry very little about being hit by incoming fire. Just remember, if you have not been noticed, do not fire too early. We want to ensure a quick sinking. If the ship has noticed you, feel free to do as you must.

800-500 METERS: This is it, what we have been waiting for. By now you should be just behind at the stern slightly port or starboard of your target if it has not noticed you. You should be close enough to identify the nationality, and be able to hit her with a stone from your bridge. What the UCHB says we should do, is aim for the command center and give it 10 rounds! Also, at this range, it is very difficult for even the greenest crew to miss. If you can park along side a ship at this range unnoticed, you will save time, and ammo sinking any ship!

Objective: To tie the toe tag on this ship as quickly as possible. Firing 10 rounds into the command center is a bit extreme for me, as I usually give it only 5 before the bridge pops off the ship. Hitting the command center gives us an advantage. It kills any search lights the ship has, and it stops the ship from zig-zagging! In some cases, it stops the engines, as this has only happened for me once. If the ship has weapons, then forget the bridge and hit that stern gun! I usually do this manually to eliminate the chance for the enemy to hit me first, or have my crew alert her to my presence with a wildly missed shot. By staying behind the ship, it cannot broad side you with it's other guns, and you can duck left and right as it swerves to protect yourself from these said weapons.

DESTROY: Once the command deck and/or weapons are out of the picture, ALWAYS aim for the water line! This is important. Hitting the hull will destroy the ship eventually and I stress eventually. But hitting the waterline lets water into the ship and sinks her quicker. You know your hitting her right, when the deck gun is fired at the ship, the round hits the water (you see a plume of water spray), and then you see/hear an explosion from the shell onto the hull! If you ordered your crew to hit the waterline, but they only hit the hull at this close range, then you are too close, steer away. If the crew (ordered to hit the waterline) hits the water and you do not see/hear an explosion on the hull, you are too far, steer in. Understand that if the water is a bit choppy, you may be in the perfect range, and still miss the ship (it happens to the best of them!).

FINAL THOUGHT: Overall, the hardest decision a commander will make when it comes to deck gunning, is position. Anyone can fire a deck gun 5km out, but getting yourself into the position I described is in my opinion the most efficient, most damaging, and safest method. Enjoy!

"The essence of submarine warfare is the offensive! he who wants to be victorious on the sea must always attack!" - UCHB

Last edited by bstanko6; 02-03-19 at 03:23 AM.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote