View Single Post
Old 03-28-19, 12:46 PM   #3
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
I'm afraid that all textures in the game are loaded into RAM, both from the menu and from the actual game. I think so because copies of these images are in the memory of VRAM, and this usually means that the originals are in RAM at the time of their first use. This probably means that large 2D textures occupy RAM memory even when they are not needed. However, I am not 100% sure about menu background images. However, all 2D simulator images are sure to be in the memory because during screen switching there are no disk operations or caches that could cause re-loading of images from files.
hello Olamagato,
thank you for all the info that you are sharing,

i turned all the large images that not needed alpha (including menu screens ...etc) from 32 to 24-bit and the gain at ram that i saw was not something really worthy.
the values i saw running a full modded stock game ( with viib uboat from wise,full interior , my ui at 1680x1050 and MEP v6) was:
Ram usage by sh3.exe at attack periscope station (in torpedo training mission) was 1.687mb with the images at 24-bit against 1.688 mb with the images at 32-bit.
I also split to separate images all the small items appearing on attack scope page ( i mean the parts from the bottom area of periscope.tga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
Some small files working as alpha channel for background images without alpha channel e.g. night filter mask.
You can make even 7-bit gray texture with 1-bit alpha but SH3 engine cannot use that file. The game uses only simple truecolor images with an 8-bit alpha channel or without. You probably can not even apply bitmap compression in files, although I have not tried it. This could give about 25-50% savings for large background textures.
if by "bitmap compression" you mean the compress (RLE) button that exists in the tga save settings in paint.net ....yes it can be done. (i have done it so in all magui's images). If you mean something else , i can't say.

Exept night filter mask (you mean the Night_filter.tga right ?) and the StrTactMap.tga, have you noticed any other image with that behaviour ?

i used the windows task manager for monitoring the ram usage by the sh3.exe so i don't know if this is valid at all. Is there any program that shows ingame at real time the ram usage ? (i found on net many programmes ,such as msi afterburner, which display the ram ingame but all of them display the whole ram usage and not only the ram by sh3.exe)

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 03-28-19 at 01:05 PM.
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote