View Single Post
Old 08-20-12, 02:29 PM   #4220
JonB
Bosun

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Iīm not much of a storyteller but the other day I ended up in a situation that I just had to share with you guys...

SS-202 / USS Trout
Tambor class
Middle of december 1942
Objective: Find and sink any enemy shipping.
Mod: TMO

After some cruising around and sporadic killing north of New Guinea I rearmed and refuled at the Salomon Island. For the first time in my SH4 career I sat course for Truk harbour, NNW of Solomon Islands. According to intel (the map) no subnets ought to be in the area so it felt temping to check the islands out.
Due to storm and heavy fog, I approached the islands with radar. I did a full lap around the Truk islands and couldnīt beleive the result. Not a single ship in the harbour but around the islands there were a total of 26 - 28 ships at anchor, devided into 4 or 5 groups. I marked all ships on my map and when the weather cleared towards the evening I did a full lap again, but this time coming from the outside going in towards each of the ship groups, going into periscope depth when closing, looking, going back out and then on to the next group. My route reminded of a star on the map and it took well into the second day to complete it.

All groups consisted of merchants except one group that was a Taskforce. The choice of what to attack wasnīt hard to make. In the middle of the taskforce I saw one ship bigger then the rest, called Yamato. I checked the recognissionmanual and the first ship in the book was the Yamato. It said about 62.000 ton.... 62.000 TONS??!!!! Holy sh*t, I have stumbled opon the biggest ship in the book!

I couldnīt restrain myself so I decided to attack right away. I regrouped in order to take out the Yamato first. You all know the drill; Battlestations, open the tubes, setting the torpedos according to the target and so on. I went with 4 torps on direct hit low on the starboard side followed up by two magnetic underneath her. All hit (since I cant take the frustrations of the duds I had disabled that ) so I awated any actions from the taskforce but nothing happened. Dont know why but I guess they have a long startup time. So I sail pass the Yamato in periscopedepth and finishes her off with my 4 stern torpedos to her portside.

Since the rest of the taskforce were just sitting there I also managed to take out 1 Takao at 15.000 tons, 1 Mogamo at 9500 tons and 3 Kuma Lights at 5100 tons each.

We didnt make it back home in time for christmas but we got the sailors ashore two hours before new years eve so it was a happy ending

All in all during that patrol, I had killed of 17 merchants and 6 navalboats at a total of 214.000 tons. My best patrol in SH4 history.

Ay you salty dogs!
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote