View Single Post
Old 09-08-16, 06:54 PM   #13
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
I'm curious. I've seen it asserted that there is a certain order, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it laid out, nor the reasoning behind it.
I am curious to see RR's post about this as well. I have always thought that the hierarchy of input to the TDC was speed first, AOB second and Range third.

My reasoning is based on the fact that the TDC input has to be done in real time and the ship is always moving. Once I obtain the speed, that wont change unless the target changes course so I want to do that first. If I do it last then I am racing around the screen clicking at the end and that is a perfect breeding ground for mistakes.

That leaves the two things that do change in real time. AOB changes the slowest of the two, especially if you are plotting way ahead of firing time. This is because any angular change between me and the target happens slowly until the target is crossing in front of me.

The range I enter last and once I do, I click the PK as soon as possible because the range constantly changes. Remember that the estimate of range is only valid for a single moment in time because we are looking at a moving target. The real drawback of the TDC is that the stadimeter is rubbish, but that's another story.
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote