View Single Post
Old 06-04-17, 12:19 PM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
Does it feature a truly dynamic campaign?

Looks good might just be my next sim!

Keltos
I think the campaign, being as large in scope as it is,and with all the random elements the mission creation system employs, is dynamic. The opening and ending are probably structured; war begins, you get the same news breaks, war ends, but all the gameplay activity in between is wide open. Say you start a campaign, you will get orders to do intercept a Soviet landing. If you start the campaign over again, you will get a different start time, different orders and sub and different objectives. And of course, where you decide to sail to will result in different encounters. I have only played a little of the campaign, so I cannot ascertain everything, but that is my current impression after starting several campaigns and playing a little in each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
Neal,

I am sensing less of a simulator and more of a slight "Arcady" vibe to this game.

Is this your sense or would you classify it as a hardcore simulator.
I suspect that the guys on this forum WANT to work the TMA. Maybe I'm wrong about this. No doubt the game LOOKS beautiful.....just love all those radar antenna spinning on those ships!

Just looking for you honest opinion.

Salute
Hey buddy,

You are correct, some guys on this forum would like to get more hands-on with the TMA, fire control, and sonar stations. That's my first choice as well. However, to be honest probably a lot more people want to be the captain and let the "crew" do the trigonometry and work the solution. That's why WWII subsims sell 10x more than hardcore nuke subsims--more visual, and more intuitive (easier).

In the case of Cold Waters I would not say it is a completely hardcore simulation, but it certainly isn't "arcady" in any fashion. Because the devs have gone to great lengths to model the enemy AI, tactics, and capabilities as realistically as they can and still have a game that can be played. Cold Waters is not an action game or even a sim lite, I guess I would say it is a hardcore simulation minus the TMA and sonar stations. And even Sonalysts included an AI crew to work those stations for you if you wished.

And the 3D: first, similar to the Sonalysts titles, the game does a good job of keeping ships and platforms off the visual 3D window IF they have not been detected by sonar or periscope. If your crew has a good solution on a ship, you may see if on the 3D screen. Let's face it, that's just more fun as a game. If a guy wants to be more "purist", all he has to do is hit the TAB key and the 3D screen goes away and he does not have to use it any further. He can stick with the 2D tactical map.

I hope that helps, Lanz, that's how I see this game.