View Single Post
Old 11-25-18, 05:38 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You're not alone. Unable to resist the temptation to upgrade, I made it serious. First came an MSI B350 motherboard, then a Ryzen 5 2600 (both on sale for a very good price). Then I tried an MSI RX580. I got it used for very cheap (like $150 for a $400 card).

Then I too started having screen freezing. First it froze up in the middle of watching a YouTube video. The screen froze but the mouse still worked...for a minute or two. After a manual reboot everything was fine. Next it happened while watching a video I had downloaded. A few days later it happened in the middle of a game.

I did a lot of research, and everybody insisted that if the problem was in the card it would have had very different results. Despite that the problem continued, and as before only when the GPU was doing its thing. I switched back to the RX560 and everything seems to be working fine again, except for the occasional in-game stutter, which is what prompted me to look into an upgrade in the first place.

I'll leave it alone for awhile, but I know I won't be able to resist the temptation to fiddle with it some more. It's only a matter of time. Meanwhile of course I don't have any real answers I can give, because I'm just faking it as I go along.