View Single Post
Old 06-21-21, 10:24 AM   #179
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Okay, first testing with this new flour, Caputo Nuvola (Standard, there is also another Nuvola called Super which has even more protein). I did what I always do with a new flour I do not know: I set up three doughs simultaneously to compare how the flour is behaving while being processed, to visaually see the differences in the way the dough behaves. The differences is that I use different levels of hydration, in this case 60%, 65% and even 70%. 2 grams of dried yeast per 200 gr flour, which already is a very lot of yeast, 14 grams of dried yeast compare to 42 grams of freesh yeast), 7-8 grams of salt, and 120, 130 and 140 grams of water.

What i can say with confidence is that this flour commands high hydration, definitely. The 60% dough ball after 24 hours was a rubber ball I could trow against the wall and it would spring back. Okay, I exaggerate a bit, but it was very hard a dough and I would not like to roll it and spread it in another 24 hours later. I test it further with adding 20ml waterm wokring it again with the mixer for 5 minutes, and see what it looks like tomorrow. With some doughs you can do this, with others not.

My feeling says that this flour indeed wants 70% hydration, which is already a lot, I never did such wet doughs before except ciabatta and baguette, but never for pizza. They are quite liquid, sticky, and difficult to process and handle. Indeed, I HATE to handle such wet doughs, thats why I avoid doing it, it usually is a mess to clean parts and things afterwards. But this flour is very high in protein and sugar, and I think I red or heard in some internet place that Caputo indeed recommends this for 70% hydration. You may get away with 65%, too, but for my taste this too already felt a bit stiffer than the doughs I am used to. 60% is too low.

If you are totally new to making your own pizza doughs, maybe you want to stay away from this one for now, and come back to it later once you got some feel for the swing of things when making pizza dough and spreading it manually - and you are eager for those superbig and high rising rims.

This flour is just two or three years old I think, a new development, its a tipo 0 flour (not double 00), and is designed (by adding protein and sugars) to form cloudy (Nuvola=cloud), light, crispy super-soft high rising rims (that you do not drown in toppings, sauce and cheese), the traditional Neapolitan style. The high protein level demands much water, and thats what makes the dough difficult to handle.

For newcomers, I would recommend the red Cuoca or the blue Classica or Pizzeria. I find Cuoca and Pizzeria work with 60-65%, Classica with 55-60%. Cuoca is a very good allrounder, but if you love your pizza American style (thick, soft dough layers and rims, there are other choices to make.

Needless to say, with such long times of fermentation and processing (1-3 days in these testing cases), the dough is placed in the refrigerator. Take it out and bring it to room temperature 4-5 hours before cooking.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-21-21 at 10:33 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote