View Single Post
Old 06-13-15, 01:27 PM   #2007
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I'll try to describe what will happen with the game when 60m/s patch is enabled...
That's odd.

I start thinking that what TDW's patch actually does, is multiplying game-generated wind speeds by a fixed factor. The game engine will still think of wind speeds using the stock 1-15 values though. If, for instance, a certain weather zone/season combination has 5-15 m/s set as its windspeed range, the game will still throw the dices and pull a random number from the said range. Let's say it is a 10. At this point the code modified by TDW comes into the picture, multiplying 10 by a 4x factor, so that when we ask for a weather report, reported wind speed will be 40 and not 10 m/s. The game will still retain the 10 m/s figure though, and it will look for it in seaparameters.cfg file. When parameters for 10 m/s are read/interpolated from the said file, again TDW's code pops in, and multiplies some or all of the sea parameters in memory by a fixed factor (could be 4 again, or something else). These new parameters are the ones sent to SH5's graphic/phyisics engine to generate current waves.

Does it sound plausible? This is the only way (that I can think of) TDW's patch could generate/handle wind speeds higher than 15 m/s with no need of updates in cfg files from our part. If you are into it, I could device a set of cfg files aimed at testing my theory.

For a start: by any chance, are the wind speeds reported by navigator all multiple of four after enabling the 60 m/s wind speed patch?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote