View Single Post
Old 03-01-11, 11:36 PM   #2217
HotiBomba
Mate

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Late 1944., and i transfered to Bergen on new XXI type U-3030. Started good with the sinking of two lone merchants (Total 11,000 GRT) off the east England coast. Headed north around the Shetland islands to the patrol area Grid AM53.

After 24h of patrol, headed SW to the Western Approaches, sunk another merchant (2,300 GRT) and few hours later found extremley large convoy about 40+ ships heavily guarded by Bogue Carrier and 10-11 destroyers. Manage to sneak inside of convoy and fired all 6 torpedoes at most bigger targets in front of U-Boat. Bogue Class, Modern Tanker and Large Troop Transport - all 6 eels hit the targets, and Tanker sunk immidiatley. Turned boat to the rear of convoy trying to sneak out. I was almost there, when suddenly Evarts turned course and started to ping. I was at 90m and still slowly going down.

After 15-20 mins all bastards came at me, and started with depth charging one after another. Went down to 220m, several time managed to almost sneak again, but one dc exploded close and damaged sub. Went up to 130m cos boat was taking water seriously. Zig-zaging at 1/3 speed, and sometimes went flank as depth charges was again in the water. Managed to repair sub and stop flodding, went down to 160m at silent running.

Another 2 destoryer runs and i was damaged again, this time more badly. Went up to 80m when another exploded near. Sub was out of control and started sinking so there was no other option than blow balast. Done that as i know that was one way trip

Just before hit the surface, Bouge Carrier was sinking and i was proud as been shelled on surface by destroyers. Still manage to fire 30-40 AA rounds at closest one (maybe 300m max) and take out his AA gun as few his sailors ended their carerrs just when my ended