View Single Post
Old 11-08-19, 05:09 PM   #98
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrey View Post
I apologize if this is already been discussed, but will this game have a broadband/narrowband waterfall? Or is detection (other than esm as stated above) essentially automatic?

Thank you!
It's automatic - even ESM. It's just that seeing the bearing lines allows you to try to correct the solution manually (override) if the situation calls for it. Having to manage the sensors of every unit under your command - especially when weapons are flying - would be far too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
Good to see that much of the TMA work can be automated.

I hope that BW does not force players to over-manage weapons, the way CW does. In case you did not know, CW forces players to act as Weapons Operator by forcing micro-management of each and every torpedo launch. For example, it is impossible to fire "a torpedo salvo on bearing XXX with 3 degree spread between them" in CW without a zillion clicks.

Even the original Red Storm Rising game required players to control individual torpedoes in order to achieve success.
It's an interesting conundrum. I want to simulate things like SARH guidance (ie, a need for a director to be radio-illuminating a target for most SAMs to work), but that could lead to some troublesome situations where the player gets frustrated/can't see why the ship appears to be ignoring their orders.

I'm thinking of solving it by not having it be something you have to manage, but something you can see with visual cues on the map (such as a cone for the illuminated area). That would also probably prove useful for managing situations and for important situational awareness. But details of extra optional management options will be interesting and tricky to figure out. I'm looking at possible additional UI elements for optional management commands.

A good tutorial will be very crucial so the player knows why a SAM they fired at a target due south completely fails to intercept after they fired a second SAM due west (since the radar illuminator is now painting the new target to the west). Or even implementing a system where the illuminator switches targets intelligently based on time to intercept.

There's a lot of design decisions to be made.
AzureSkies is offline   Reply With Quote