View Single Post
Old 07-25-20, 12:56 AM   #39
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

If, by some fantastic stretch of the imagination, Biden won and Trump tried to remain in office, the riots going on now would look like child's play compared to the chaos that would ensue. Hell, half the country had a literal* mental meltdown when he legitimately won the first election†. And the same people who - before the election - were telling Trump that he must accept the results, were now ... not wanting to accept the results.

"But Hillary won the popular vote!", they cried. Which is true. But that's not how it works. And ever since then, some people have been doing anything and everything to try and nullify the election, change how U.S. presidential elections work and/or get Trump thrown out of office for something ... anything. They just keep throwing allegations at him to see if anything sticks. And nothing has, no matter how much it upsets some people. The only thing it has accomplished seems to be digging up dirt on everyone else.

Of course, Trump [and others] tried to do the exact same thing to Obama by questioning his birthplace‡. The only difference is that no one was screaming at the sky, crying or throwing a tantrum the likes of which you'd expect from a two year old. Either way, it didn't work then, it's not working now and I'd wager it won't work in the future.

What I find ridiculous about all of this is that the President of the United States is not a dictator, king or any other type of absolute ruler. Their ability to ruin this country is severely limited by the checks and balances of the judicial and legislative branches, put in place by the founding fathers at the very inception of this country. And those checks and balances have been exercised plenty of times during Trump's presidency. He's even been impeached. Add to that the fact that the President's time in office is also limited to a maximum of eight years and you can see that, although the President does have a great deal of power and is supposed to be a representative leader of a great nation (stop laughing), they are ultimately a small part of what decides the fate of this nation.

IOW, if you don't like the current President - just wait a little while. The world won't end, we'll eventually have a new President and you will be just fine. What concerns me is all of the people who have been in office for decades, but who are now blaming Trump - who has been in office for less than four years - for all of the country's problems. Think about that.

* By "literal" I mean the [apparently] "old" meaning of "something that actually happened".

† You can argue about this until you're blue in the face, but ... if you are an American, Trump is in fact your President - whether you like it or not.

‡ It has always been my understanding that a child born to a U.S. citizen - no matter where - is automatically a U.S. citizen. (The Constitution is characteristically vague about this.) So, even if Obama was born in Kenya as some allege, AFAIK his mother was a U.S. citizen so it doesn't even matter.