View Single Post
Old 07-12-19, 06:20 AM   #7
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Yes, Kazan has been launched over two years ago and now is in trials. On previous generations the use of electric drive in any significant capacity was questionable, as per same signature reduciton requirements it was heavier/bulkier than the geared turbine.
OK, didn't know much for Russian subs. At least, it seems to be a new development for Western subs.
Quote:
Yes, that depends on your requirements, Brits did build a larger and more capable (atleast weapons wise) SSN though. Also use of low aperture cylindrical bow is a questionable choice.
I don't know that much about the comparative advantages and drawbacks of spherical VS cylindrical, though I did remember reading about some advantages for the latter, at least for specific parameters. Though, yes, it'll depend on the requirements, and ours are pretty different from US and Russian ones, in that we don't really plan to fight massive naval battles: if a SSN of ours needed more than two dozen weapons, something would have gone massively, massively wrong and the next step would probably involve SSBN. It won't chase down a CVBG either or spam it with dozens of cruise missiles. OTOH, for projection capabilities, making sure noone tries a Falklands on us, or reminding secondary powers that buying a SSK or a SSN, even an advanced one, won't change the balance of power, or supporting the kind of operation we pull regularly? It's a superb tool, IMO. Plus, electric drive combined with F-21 torpedoes should make a lot of people paranoid. XD
Quote:
Yes, it is in the documentation (thanks for the link etc), but have you ever seen a towed array housing? I haven't, which makes me curious.
I haven't either, but I haven't gotten close enough to our SSBN to say. And if its position isn't indicated on official pictures and documentation...
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote