View Single Post
Old 07-11-19, 05:26 PM   #5
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
France is not the only (or first) country using main hybrid electric drive for SSNs.
IIRC, it's the first series-SSN to have one. I think a couple of boats were made with this during the Cold War by the US but with the technology left aside for not being good enough then. From what I see, only Tulibee and Glenard P. Liscomb ever used turbo-electric transmission, the solution having shown insufficient speed performance back then to be used in the LA class, and I haven't heard either Virginia or Seawolf having it. I think the Columbia SSBN will have a hybrid drive, though.

Maybe the new Russian boats have a hybrid drive, but I'm not aware of it, not having much information on these.

Quote:
To be honest I think the displacement is more of a consequence of French requirements - for the minimal SSN, particularly armament wise.
Heh, we're not planning to fight the entire Russian navy head-on. 24 weapons are enough for most realistic scenarios.
Quote:
As that navigational accident - have you ever seen a towed array on the French boomer?
Problem with the "human error", "technological weakness" or "incompetence" scenario is that it also requires a Royal Navy boomer crew to fail just as hard. And if you think the Her Majesty's Silent Service is LARPing Down Periscope...

In the end, the fact is that a Vanguard-class SSBN on patrol couldn't notice its counterpart in time to avoid a collision. That alone should say a lot about the discretion of both boats.

Oh, and to your question, yes, the French boomer has a towed array, a DSUV 61B. Source (in French): http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/13...a3809-tVII.pdf Search "DSUV" and you'll find the reference on page 216, the acronym SNLE being SSBN in French, while "antenne remorquée" means "towed array".
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote