Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk66 View Post
@Julhelm: I'm a big fan of Red Storm Rising, so can't wait for your sim

Maybe you could consider the following points:

- ASW done by helos is very weak in RSR (only single sonobuoy, no lines of sonobuys, no real life tactics applied here)
- ASW planes completely missing in RSR (tactical battle)
- Frankly, I am not sure by myself but I have the gutfeeling that the 'mirror contact' challenge, dealing with the towed array, should be somehow included, since this is one of the biggest cons of the TA

Any thoughts on this ?
There can be multiple helos in combat, and they generally screen the convoy, flying from spot to spot listening with their dipping sonars, until they detect you. When they do, they'll head in your direction dropping sonobouys and listening with their dipping sonars. They operate in pairs so one helo will track you while the other goes for the kill. They can carry either depth charges or torpedoes.

The game also features both the Il-38 and Tu-142, which may also show up in combat. How they operate depends on if you are detected during transit. If you have been, they may already be dropping sonobuy barriers at the beginning of combat. If not, they will be screening the taskforce and when someone detects you, they will be vectored towards your position, dropping sonobouys and attacking you with bombs or torpedoes. The enemies are datalinked, so if a surface ship or helo has a contact on you, they may call down fire from the loitering aircraft.

As for the ambigous contact with the TA, IIRC all you had to do to resolve it in SC/DW was to make a turn and watch which contact didn't move. In most cases you will already know the general direction the enemy is coming from courtesy of intel reports and convergence zone detection so that makes the feature as such kind of moot.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote