View Single Post
Old 06-13-19, 07:55 AM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

OK, so back to 688i HK Training Mission 1 ("earning your dolphins").
Let's start with the mission orders and figure out what we need to do.
We need to drive 50 nmi due south in 4 hours or less. Along the way, we also need to drive up to PD after a half hour but no later than 3 hours into the mission. We also have to avoid detection from a couple of skimmers in the area.

So, first things first. We have to drive 50 miles south in less than 4 hours. That works out to an average of 12.5 knots but we also need to drive up to PD and avoid the gray targets.
Let's assume we'll need to drive the boat at 15 knots as soon as we can without creating a lot of noise. That gives us a little cushion plus we can go faster as the water gets deeper, in case we need to.
So, all I've seen so far is the orders but I've set up a basic plan.

Time to start the mission.
I'm in fairly shallow water heading due south. While I've beaten this mission in the past, it was years ago. One thing I remember from back in the old 688i days, they snuck in something in either the briefing or in the manual about sticking close to the bottom. That was one of those smack-yourself-in-the-forehead moments once I figured it out.

So, I'm in shallow water going 5 knots. I check the time and its 1200. Now I can hit Pause and do some quick chart work. I drop a waypoint on the chart 50 miles to the south and label it "1600". I also need to get to PD sometime between 1230 and 1500, so I figure out a position based on my planned 15 knot speed and label that point 1500 as a reminder, just in case.

So, I can get back into the game again. The first thing I do is figure out some strategy. I'm going to be running close to the bottom for a while and I need to start getting some speed, so the Toad isn't really an option. Its either going to be dragging in the mud or I'll be going too fast. I can always deploy it later once I'm in deeper water and I have a chance to slow down for a little while.
Right about then, as if on cue, I get a ping from the south west. Time to dive and get moving. I have auto crew turned on in Sonar and Fire Control. They can track this guy for now with no problem based on his pings. I dive down to 15 feet above the bottom. I'm deep enough to go to 2/3 for now.
I try to stay within 10 to 15 feet of the bottom as I motor along. I want to wait until I'm at least 150 feet deep before I order Ahead Standard. It feels like its forever but its only half an hour and I'm finally deep enough. Ahead standard.
While I'm keeping a close eye on the depth to keel, I check out the TMA on the first joker. The dot stack is pretty good and Fire Control has calculated a speed of 19 knots on a course of 090.

So, time out for a second. This dude is banging away on active while he's motoring along at 20 knots. Whoopie! He's making my job a lot easier.

He could get lucky but for the most part he's deaf as a post. I want to pass behind Mr. Surface Warfare Expert and keep some distance so I check the chart and do some quick calculating. I figure out a spot (assuming he's going to stick to Warp Speed) where I could do some small course changes to help open the distance. The basic plan is a ten degree turn to 190 for 5 minutes then another turn to 170 for another 5 minutes then back to 180. If I get behind my timing, I can always speed up later on as I get into deeper water.
Meanwhile, his partner makes a peep. Sonar calls him out but then he goes quiet again. Just a reminder that I have two turkeys to deal with.

By now, I'm at 500 feet and there's no need to go deeper. Since I'm in deep water I drop an XBT in case there's a layer. Nope..
Still, its also after 1230 (1245-ish?) and the first skimmer is still in a hurry to Go Find The Submarine and he's opening by quite a bit. I think it over a bit and, yeah, now's a good time to head up to PD. I check the orders again and I don't have to raise any masts or copy a broadcast, I just have to get there.
I still have to keep an eye on this dude in case he doubles back, but I've got some time in the bank and I may as well get it done.

I order a new depth of 60 feet. This is a little above PD because I don't want to blow the mission on a technicality. Now, I watch my depth. I drop to 10 knots before I get to 150 feet and 5 knots before I get to 100 feet. I want to be sneaky but the clock is still ticking.

I go above 65 feet (PD) and tool along for a couple of minutes at 60 feet. Just to be safe, I check the mission status. Some folks consider this a cheat, but I don't. I haven't been detected and I get credit for making it to PD. Good enough, its time to head deep again.

So, I keep the speed conservative on the way down but I still need to hustle. It dawns on me that I could have deployed the Toad while I was running slow to look for Turkey #2 but I wasted the chance.

Meanwhile, I said a while ago "minimal spoilers".

I made it with 10 minutes to spare.

Don't count out the second contact. If you have some spare time, try to track him and maneuver if you have to.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote