View Single Post
Old 01-24-21, 05:00 PM   #11
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

What a great idea for a topic! I've been studying more authentic approach and targeting methods for the last few weeks.I know there are more authentic ways to create a torpedo solution. I want something more authentic than the over used 3 min time & distance for speed, directly measuring distance with a compass circle, etc. These methods are authentic to a degree. Fleet boats were equipped with a Dead Reckoning Tracer, a Parallel Motion and the Bearing and Range Indicator, all receiving data from the same sources the TDC does. One problem is the document is dated 1950. The use of the ST radar is reference often and some of the equipment wasn't available during the war.

The last year, I've read about 8 different books about the 'Fleet boat Aces', eg. O'Kane, Morton, Flucky, etc. and how they set up there torpedo shots. One of the documents I've been studying is the Submarine Torpedo Fire Control Manual at the HNSA site. It's a gold mine of how-to's. The calculations for finding range by using mast height, Constant, Continuous and Check Bearing methods for speed and AoB. One device that we don't have is the Omnimeter. Our most honorable Capnscurvy created a mod for TMO and RFB is the Optical Targeting Correction and included in the mod is a Omnimeter. The mod includes a make-over of the telescope. It has a true field of view and calibrated graticules and lock focal points are center mass of the target ship. The stadimeter measuring points are marked on the recognition book silhouettes. Very cool mod!!

I put together a 'wire speed' reference posted in this forum. It's a compilation of the ship's lengths (not included in the reference) in meters so you can use the time across wire for speed. Sometimes I don't have 3 minutes to wait around for speed. I'm working on a new version that's a little more concise and accurate. It should be up in a day or so. If anyone else has insights or ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Submarine Torpedo Fire Control Manual
http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/attack/index.htm

Torpedo Data Computer
http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/tdc/index.htm#toc