View Single Post
Old 09-28-20, 01:46 AM   #1
chevelle505
Sailor man

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default Looking into getting “cold waters”. Have a few questions

Hey all, I’ve been looking into possibly buying cold waters, but I’m not sure if it can do some of the things I’m looking for. Currently I have been using SH4 and UBOAT as more of a sub simulation. I’m impressed by some of the graphics within cold waters but It’s looking like more of a game rather than a sub sim. I’m after a Ohio class, original Los Angeles class, or seawolf class modern sub sim, questions are:

I understand what the game is as far as battle missions etc, but is it anything like silent hunter IV to where I can leave a port (“dock and undock”) and just go explore around if I want to? Maybe under the polar ice caps etc? Am I limited to where I can sail to any more than silent hunter ? I’d love to be able to patrol through the Atlantic all the way down and around out to the pacific. Or are there set objectives with time limits that end the game by itself? What if I don’t want to battle, I just want to go sail around and explore the “world”, can I do this in cold waters?

Another thing I noticed is that apparently there are no views internally such as a control room etc. as far as the external cam, am I able to (via camera mod or not) move the camera to put me in the perspective of being on the conning tower when surfaced or does it lock me to just around the sub? I’d like more of a first person external view to be able to “walk” around the outside of the sub on the deck etc. any way to do this at all?

Can I go in and out of ports around the world like in silent hunter iv? Every video I see on YouTube shows you just starting out randomly in the ocean. Can I go and “dock” at a port?

Basically I’m wanting to use it and mod it to be used as more of a sub simulator. I’d love to be able to just cruise around the ocean freely for screenshot purposes etc.

Can I do everything in real time or is it all forced time compression? How does the world map work? Is it just the same as silent hunter?

Can any of this be accomplished via mods etc with cold waters or is this just more of an arcade game? I’m drawn to the higher res graphics and scenery more than silent hunter IV but like the way I can just roam about freely in sh4. Any help is appreciated guys! Just want the whole scoop before I drop $40 on something that turns out to just be an arcade game.
chevelle505 is offline   Reply With Quote