View Single Post
Old 06-26-20, 08:47 AM   #4
HS
Bosun

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your feedback.

@ iambecomelife: Interesting project, I will keep watching.

@ field: Thank you very much for the detailed presentation. Even though I know these programs and have created some of my own test campaigns for them, your detailed presentation will certainly be interesting for some readers in this thread. A few remarks:

SAI and Jutland both have their charm in their own way, but they both focus strongly on the historical situation in the North Sea and a good handling of large fleets and therefore neglect among other things coal supply and landing operations of single ships or squadrons - both aspects that would be essential for a good raider simulation. Possibly this is a reason why a raider campaign was never implemented in these simulations? Mechanical wear and tear also plays only a marginal role. - TAS is better in terms of coal or fuel, but it is very complicated and time consuming to create a campaign yourself and there is currently no program to resolve tactical WW1 battles and reintegrate the results into the TAS campaign.

So it seems a little more obvious to me to get inspired by corresponding board games, to use them as solitaire games with own rules via ppt on the laptop and to determine the results of tactical battles for example via naw (see http://www.navalwarfare.net/wcnaw.html). However, dicing in board games (for example to determine if and by whom a German Raider is detected in a certain zone) is time-consuming and disturbs the game flow. Although it is a board game, TFS, but of course also the numerous literature on the subject, could in my opinion be a very good script for a multi-hemispheric electronic simulation of the raider situation from August 1914 to early 1915.

Last edited by HS; 06-26-20 at 08:56 AM.
HS is offline   Reply With Quote