View Single Post
Old 02-21-21, 05:44 AM   #80
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thank you very much, derstosstrupp, for your prompt assistance in correcting sun declination in New Sextant mod. My preliminary testing revealed no errors. Link to the sun.txt file, which should replace the corresponding New Sextant mod file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cw6...ew?usp=sharing
I propose to test this on measurements of the sun. I will continue testing as well.

NOTA BENE! My guess turned out to be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheratz View Post
When measuring the Sun, when in the sextant interface field you enter the value "0" to indicate the celestial body being measured, the sextant "knows" that you are measuring the lower limb of the solar disk and the sextant reading is the altitude of the solar disc center, taking into account the influence of dip + refraction. that is, you don't need to add sun semidiameter to the measured value.
When you measure the lower limb of solar disc altitude, then New Sextant readings represent the sun's altitude reduced by the actual (historical) sun semidiameter. You need to add the historical sun semidiameter to the measured sun lower limb altitude. I will rework my Sun Almanac to include a historical sun semidiameter.

Last edited by Alpheratz; 02-21-21 at 06:11 AM.