View Single Post
Old 05-30-19, 08:47 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudennis View Post
This is demonstrably incorrect within the current implementation of Wolfpack, and an often repeated misconception. As a matter of empirical fact, at least as of the moment of writing on version 0.16a, both planes up gives the most upward momentum, whereas both planes down gives the most downward momentum.
Oh my, this is embarrassing. You are absolutely correct. My statements came from subjective experiences. And extrapolating from how the model should work. I should have known better not to take this for granted.

After having counted the seconds per 1 and 10 meters rise and dive (from 15m to 25m and back, and 15m to 16m) at 2 speeds (4.45kts and 1.4kts) and combinations of maximum deflections of the diveplanes it appears only the forward diveplane deflection have an effect on dive and rise rates (seconds per meter).

Before testing everything I tried to set buoyancy to neutral by filling the negative to 0.05 ish. With no speed and neutral diveplanes it dived 1m in 7m35s. At 1,4 kts it took 7m30s. At 4.4kts it took 7m25s. That seems to be a pretty stable baseline, with a slight speed affect to rising.

The both the fore and aft diveplanes affect the tilt angle of the hull. But the tilt angle itself does not seem to have any appreciable affect to climb and dive rates. I was very surprised to see no depth change with neutral forward diveplane deflection and either aft dive plane deflection. Well the effect was minor, comparable to both planes set to neutral. At 1.4 kts forward speed forward neutral and aft down took 6m50s from 15m to 16m. Aft up took 8m30s to go from 15m to 16m. Maybe the slight up tilt angle with up aft planes caused the fore dive planes to get a minor angle of attack and slowed the intrinsic dive due to my slight negative buoyancy.

P.S. I consider this a bug. Knowing how wings and elevator surfaces work on airplanes, where even the hull has a non-zero contribution to lift, tilt angle of the boat must have an effect. I can't find the reference but I remember reading it in one of the translated German Uboat documents or maybe Uboat Commanders handbook.

Last edited by Pisces; 05-31-19 at 09:31 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote