View Single Post
Old 06-04-11, 03:57 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard313 View Post
You never know, someone might have missed one of these (born after the times, or mere lack of interest until this point.) and I did not want the plot spoiled for them. So I try to avoid adding spoilers on things like these at all costs. (unless you catch me doing a full on review, then I'll spoil away.)
I was just teasing of course. Spoiler warnings are always a good idea. I tend to forget that some people haven't seen Das Boot even though it's almost 30 years old now, and it shocks me when someone says "Why'd you have to tell me that ?!?!"

Quote:
I believe this can be traced to one scene, and I quote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-571_%28film%29#Critical_receptio
Huh. I don't even remember that part. Of course Germans always machine gunned survivors. I saw Murphy's War, y'know.

Quote:
I mainly called him aging because he said himself that he felt ancient next to the rest of his crew members.

It's even funnier that in the book the LI was described as being 27, but looking 40, so they made a point of hiring a 40+ actor to play the role.

Quote:
What can I say? I like a little drama.
The truth? If I dislike something about a movie I'll exaggerate the point, but there have only been one or two movies in my life I've actually regretted seeing. I love to complain about U-571 and Pearl Harbor, and I'll certainly never watch them again, but I didn't ask for my money back, or wish that I had. So while Hunley ticked me off big time and I won't own it like I do Ironclads, the models were nice and the action scenes were pretty good. I just wish they'd had more history and less fluff.

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. Didn't know that one at all, kind of makes me like this movie even more, they went out of their way to get a real destroyer to drop some depth charges. That's devotion you don't see much of anymore, what with everything moving to computer graphics and all that jazz.

At that time the navy had plenty to spare, and giving the crew some excersize at someone else's expense was all part of the fun. It's like the scene in 12 O'Clock High in which a B-17 does a long protracted belly flop. They were a dime-a-dozen in those days and they didn't blink twice about racking one up.

Quote:
(you don't mind if I call you SS do you?)
Would it matter if I did?