View Single Post
Old 06-22-17, 02:57 AM   #29
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Well torpedo's are supported down their length via the lands of the torpedo tube. So it would only be the last few feet of the torpedo that would have any risk of wedging in the tube. I still would have a lot of doubts about a torpedo either wedging into the tube, or torquing against the tube enough that it damaged the doors and prevented the doors from closing after the torpedo left the tube. The door assembly has to be strong enough to handle the pressure at 500ft or more of depth.

If anything I'd figure the torpedo's would be designed to fail versus run the risk of taking a tube out of commission and possibly endangering the whole sub. Which considering most torpedoes can handle 30kts+ and again several hundred feet worth of water pressure, means it seems unlikely there's much of a risk. I'm not saying it couldn't ever happen, it just seems like a very low risk occurrence.

Some quick back math shows at 33 kts a worst case of approximately 54 PSI on the torpedo on down to .2 PSI for the pressure on the torpedo. Depending on the surface area of the torpedo that's exposed to the flow of water. Neither of those numbers would seem to present an unsolvable engineering problem.

I highly doubt there's going to be any published evidence supporting no max firing speed, as it's certainly a piece of information that I would consider of military value (if there is a max speed).

As an aside a much bigger game play issue to me is the breaking of torpedo wires. I know for instance the MK48 is set to 10% chance, but I routinely can fire 4, at 5 kts level bubble and rudder, and have one wire survive launch. Even then it's rare for it to last anything close to the full run of the fish. I'm curious if there's something a bit off with the their probability generator or if I just have REALLY bad luck with torpedo wires. I even tried an experiment of setting the wire break chance to 1% with the same result.

-Jenrick

Last edited by jenrick; 06-22-17 at 03:30 AM.
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote