View Single Post
Old 09-16-19, 09:38 AM   #2181
Add man
Swabbie

Downloads: 198
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Progress on this mod is steady and highest quality. I am very happy to see the careful development and depth of research and care being taken. It is no easy task to draw back the curtain of time for this era and naval war has never been covered in simulation adequately. A few attempts have been make a mod for Destroyer Command long ago created working WWI ships, and there were two other attempts. and the retail games Distant Guns and Jutland offer some chances but frankly both those games have very primitive modelling and the land masses when present like the Falklands Islands are just terrible. So be patient shipmates. This will be a jewel to enjoy and appreciate ...and is well worth the wait.

In naval sims we see the ships in a distant view, but each vessel was a small world of its own, incredibly complex with countless sailors and officers performing thousands of tasks to maintain and operate the ships in peace and war. There were long long days, months and years of hard labour, chipping paint, man handling gear, ammunition, navigating, and dealing with all of the mundane needs of the days at sea and in port. Making a good accurate and detailed sim must convey all of this and do it well for the immersion to work and be realistic. In the hands of the creator of this mod, I do believe this effort will succeed. So Cheer him on and look forward to the outcome.
I can't tell you how excited this has me. It's been such a privilege to follow the development of this thread for so long. I can't wait to experience this. It's been such a dream to have more interactions with the crews and ships we encounter at sea rather than just shelling or torpedoing an empty hulk of polygons. Mods like Just Follow Orders! for SH3 helped fill this where you just sort of pretend to follow prize rules and imagine assisting the merchant crews, but WOTK will truly be something else, and I can't wait.

Good luck, guys!
Add man is offline   Reply With Quote