View Single Post
Old 10-24-20, 08:36 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegonzalito View Post
Snorkels were obviously not the panacea that solved the problem,
ADM Dönitz having once sent a message to one his U boat aces "Kongrats Kaleun, U haf new baby...mit snorkel!" I can attest in the sense of it...raising the schnorkel is seldom a panacea that solves any problem., especially if it gives away your position to an aircraft with 10 centimeter radar!! My late uncle (passed 2 months ago) age 95; who flew anti-submarine Liberators seldom discussed his wartime experiences, but implied that U-boats didn't have much chance. Essentially WWI technology; upgraded somewhat in WWII, but ultimately no match for Allied technology in the air. Germany didn't just lose the shooting war at sea, it lost the "wizard war" of superior overall technology culminating in the Manhattan Project. Bottom line: as author Blair puts in his Hitler's U-Boat War vol I & II, only sinking 5% of allied shipping overall, from 1939 to 1945, is a poor return for the annihilation of 75% of your entire U-boat force!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote