Thread: Real Nav
View Single Post
Old 07-14-19, 03:27 PM   #1
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Real Nav

Can anyone post a link please to a good tutorial on using star charts and sextant please.
I have read a couple of tutorials so far and they just explained dead reckoning, which is quite obvious really.
I have spent quite a few hours staring at the star charts provided in game and cant quite seem to grasp them. I can recognize star formations, well some of them, but when looking at the chart I cant figure out where on the chart the human eyes are. Its hard to explain but when I view the chart its almost as if I should be looking from the other side of the paper, like its all been inverted in a photo shop program.
My best guess at the sextant is to aim it at horizon then move slider to north star. When doing this, I do get something close but Im not sure im actually aiming at the right star. Aiming north is obvious, but sometimes at night there are multiple stars due north.
Seems strange the game doesnt make the north star brighter than all the others. I remember at school they said the north star was always brighter than the rest.

Edit/Update

I have found this tutorial on the berbsters tutorial list > https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=206103

Using this I am at least good to go and learn from it and will be good to take readings during the day. I am looking for a tutorial similar to this explaining how star charts are used. If anyone can help that would be great as I cant find anything. If nothing turns up I have bookmarked a couple of astronomy websites but having a skim read Im well out of my depth on these websites.

Last edited by Fidgety; 07-15-19 at 04:05 PM.
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote