View Single Post
Old 01-06-22, 02:00 PM   #431
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

8 October 1942
Two airbases in Burma trashed, Tooth-to-tail problems in Burma and Luganville, Guadalcanal reinforced

Burma
Our airbases at Moulmein and Rangoon itself were shelled by battleships and heavy cruisers, respectively. I didn't think he could get heavy cruisers up the channel into Rangoon and that I was protecting my assets by splitting them between the two bases. So much for that. Facility damage is severe at both bases, effectively knocking them both out of action. And because I was sending a construction unit from Rangoon to Moulmein, it's between bases now and can't repair either. This is exposing some logistical unpreparedness on my part. A lot of my base forces are forward with my stalled offensive forces, intended to build and operate new airbases. And that's left my rear echelon bases with insufficient engineer support. And with Port Blair in enemy hands, there's no good way to move more in. I'll settle for a bad way--I've got an engineer unit traveling by rail to the Burma-India border, they'll drive though the wilderness a few hexes to get back to the rail system, and then finally to Rangoon. Going to take weeks.

I'd like to move some of these planes off the coastal hexes, but that requires building more inland bases--so, same problem, not enough engineers.

China
The enemy armies made another shock attack on Chengchow. They weren't significantly stronger than they were at the beginning of the last push, and my forts are rebuilt to level 3. So, same result; attack held off, casualties 12947 to 5981 favoring me. Plus an angry email about how it's unrealistic that the Chinese can hold off the Japanese army.

Luganville Invasion
All bad news here today. My marines still have high fatigue--and it's because I cut the unloading short. We landed the infantry first, support units last--and for a lot of them, not at all. The support units would be helping the troops recover from fatigue and re-activate disabled squads and devices.

Those landing barges weren't hit--looks like weather interfered with a strike. And I don't think they're headed for Luganville, but for Ndeni. The garrison there is small and vulnerable. So, I'm going to try to get another airstrike on these guys, but I'm also sending my fastest 4 destroyers from Efate to Ndeni with orders to shell Ndeni (on the assumption they've landed) and on a course that should intercept them, either on the beach or right next to it. No guarantee they arrive in time. The destroyers will draw some air cover, but probably not enough to defeat enemy air raids if they push hard. At least they're small, fast, and hard to hit.

Speaking of air raids, the enemy airbase is now reportedly up to 120 fighters and 70 bombers. Given how successful they were with only about 30 bombers a few days ago, that's disturbing.

I'm moving an armed merchant cruiser from Noumea to Efate which is going to be the last of 3 ships I'll need to hopefully finish off the delivery of troops to Luganville. But I'm not looking forward to the airstrike they're going to face on the beach in 2 days or so.

Intel
The Akagi is back on the killed list. They say it went down in Toyko harbor now. Yeah, right.

Reinforcements
SS Pogy arrives at Balboa
43rd Infantry Division arrives at San Francisco (restricted)
35th USN Naval Construction Battalion arrives at Port Hueneme (unrestricted)