Old 01-05-22, 01:45 PM   #429
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

6 October 1942
US Marines advance on enemy in Luganville, enjoy superior firepower

CENTPAC
We shelled Canton Island with 2 CA and 3 DD, causing about 50 enemy casualties and wrecking the small airfield and port facilities there.

Japan
USS Gar torpedoed and sank a subchaser that was trying to clear my subs out of the gap east of Okinawa. One of its partners attempted a depth charge attack but missed. These subchasers have the deep-reaching depth charges, so that's good news and bad news--that was a pretty valuable SC, but eventually this area might get too hot to keep subs in.

Malaya
Haven't checked in here in awhile. They've been bombing Singapore continuously. Today I counted 242 bomber sorties here (mostly Sallies). No joke. Imagine if he took some of his troops up around Bangkok and put them in Singapore, and took some of these bombers to Bangkok (along with the 100+ fighters already up there) and bombed my troops with them. Such a huge allocation of airpower that isn't accomplishing anything.

Thailand and Burma
10 Oscars swept over our armies south of Raheng against 7 of our fighters, and ended up with 5 Oscars lost with just 1 P-40 shot down (plus one damaged Mohawk that didn't make it back). I may have inaccurately stated the numbers of enemy planes in prior reports here. It looks like there is a swarm of enemy aircraft on CAP (about 40 planes this turn) nearby ready to respond to my raids, but a smaller group that's actually attacking, trying to get rid of my CAP. So this isn't as lopsided here as it looked.

I just noticed that repairs at Moulmein are painfully slow, and it's because the aviation support unit there has airplane mechanics but not construction engineers, so we don't have the right personnel there to repair the base. Sending engineers from Rangoon to deal with this.

Luganville Invasion
No air-to-air combat today, the invasion task force has safely withdrawn to Efate. Our marines began their assault on the enemy fortifications, we're currently well short of what we need to overrun their position, but the massive amount of firepower we brought (2 partially-delivered tank battalions) caused 491 enemy casualties vs our 75--that's 17% of their force. Usually the attacker takes disproportionately high casualties, so this is a GREAT result. I'd give it 4 days--without having to finish landing the intended amount of forces.

Refits and Reinforcements
BB Arizona beginning refit in shipyard at Pearl Harbor (major overhaul-4 months to complete)
SS S-47 taken out of commission to begin refit at Pearl Harbor
AM Pirie arrives at Brisbane
VMO-155 arrives at Pago Pago (2/18 Helldivers - Helldivers are out of production, we're only building SBD-3s now, and it might be awhile before I have enough to transition and fill this unit)
27th USN Naval Construction Battalion arrives at Port Hueneme
119th RAF Base Force arrives at Aden