Old 09-02-21, 08:19 AM   #168
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

27 March 1942
Disaster at Timor--KB hits troop transports

Borneo
An enemy cargo ship hit a mine at Balikpapan. Because it's in a port space it will probably survive.

Celebes Sea
Dutch sub KXV torpedoed and likely sank a loaded medium tanker in the Celebes Sea. It's slightly north of where I expected the lane to be so I'll be adjusting my subs' patrol areas here.

Malaya
Apparently completely unafraid of my bombers, the cruiser and destroyer stuck around Singapore and sank another 2 ASW patrol boats.

New Hebrides
I'm still disembarking troops and supplies at Luganville. At least 2 enemy subs are there now but our destroyers are holding them off.

The scale of enemy air attacks increased, and it would cost us. Our fighters began causing enemy losses but the bombers were still getting through. 6 Zeroes and 4 Nells were shot down for a loss of 2 P-40s and a P-39. The bombers hit USS Concord twice and sank her (light cruiser), along with a troop transport (fortunately an empty one).

Sumatra
19 Oscars swept Palembang, shooting down 3 Buffalos and a P-40 with no losses. Yes, I still have a few squadrons flying Buffalos.

Thailand
Our bombers targeted the 5th Division in the south. We traded 3 Blenheims for 3 Oscars and 3 Nates and about 200 enemy soldiers.

Timor
I'm not sure if my decision to try to load the troops landing here back up made this happen because the disembarking was painfully slow, but it might have. But the KB showed up here and tore that task force to pieces. (2nd instance of each ship is the 2nd wave)
xAP Empress ' Asia, Bomb hits 6, heavy fires
xAP Empress ' Australia, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
xAP Empress ' Australia, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAP Aquitania, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
xAP Aquitania, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Wakefield, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Wakefield, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Tjerk Hiddes
DD Tjerk Hiddes, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP West Point, Bomb hits 4, on fire
xAP West Point, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Thanet
xAP Duchess of Bedford, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAP Duchess of Bedford, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAP Empress ' Scotland, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires
xAP Empress ' Scotland, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Troop casualties were probably around 3000 and was concentrated in one of the 2 brigades being transported. It will probably be a long time before that brigade can be made useful again. These transports were also high value. Large and fast, these would have been better used to land troops at a nearby port than for amphibious ops in a contested area.