View Single Post
Old 07-21-07, 09:19 AM   #11
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yup, I know Hartmann is one of the FS good guys, and no, I don't normally fly airliners like that, but I knew that throwing it around like that would put a strain on the frame rates, both in FSX and FS9, so it seemed like a good way to test it. If the line captain at WestWind saw me doing that, he'd probably ask me to leave:rotfl:

I did actually once see a test pilot throwing a Boeing 757 about like that, he didn't roll it, but he did lots of other pretty wild things. If I recall correctly, that was at the last ever airshow at Woodford (BAe's test airfield, just up the road from me, near Manchester, EGCC), seeing the Boeing 757 do that kind of stuff was more thrilling than watching a fighter do a display for me personally, as it was really weird to watch it being thrown around like a fighter plane. Of course it was only lightly loaded, but you'd be surprised how agile an airliner can be, I certainly was!

One thing this little test does seem to point out though, is that the flight modelling is very different in FSX from FS9 even in fairly tame flight regimes, and I suspect that, being more complicated in FSX, it adds further strain to things. I noticed that the FS9 ATR seems to want to play the stall warning a little sooner than the FSX one, for example.

Be warned that the flight director on the ATR is kind of bizarre in comparison to Boeing and Airbus ones, with the autopilot heading indicator showing up on the HSD and stuff like that, and it does take a bit of getting used to if you normally fly Boeing and Airbus, but the nice thing about the ATR is that you can do a 'by the book' airline flight which only takes an hour or so, as opposed to one in say the PMDG 747, where you need to have a spare afternoon! But if you like absolutely every single system being modelled accurately on your FS aircraft, the ATR will not disappoint you, that's for sure.

On the subject of German Airports, if your system can handle those, I'm guessing the ATR would be okay, I have some very detailed payware scenery for Frankfurt's airport, and that's sometimes a bit of a show-stopper for framerates!

Anyway, happy landings.

Chock