View Single Post
Old 09-15-20, 11:42 PM   #205
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 535
Uploads: 1

Bstanko6 is one of the captains I have followed for some time. I've watched his youtube videos over and over again and each time I find something new and I make a note on my reference notebook that I keep handy. In this notebook I have all the formulas, approach check lists, reminders, sonar and radar ranges, etc. It keeps growing all the time.

I've been playing Silent Hunter 4 & 5 seriously for about a year now. I keep getting better all the time. Like everything else in life: practice practice practice. I am nowhere near the playing level of Bstanko6, Fifi, Rockin' Robbins, Propbeanie and the rest of the highly experienced skippers. I don't play at 100% realism yet. I tried at first and I was not having fun! Fun is an important factor.

Breaking the periscope addiction is a must! When you do use it, no more than 30 seconds and <= 1kt. All the Silent Hunter sims have excellent TDC's, charting tools and sensor suites. My approaches start about 4,000 yds/m from my position and the solution should be dialed in pretty tight. The periscope should be used to firm up the solution before the shoot. One of my trouble spots is identifying ship type. Sticking the periscope out of the surface for 3 mins. while I thumb through the identification book has been very costly. Now, I just verify the flag and sink it.

I do run practice crash dives, emergency blows, emergency back flank so I can have an idea as to what I can expect. Radio reports, weather reports are very important. Keeping the crew's morale high is important, as is promotion, especially in TWoS.

MacGregor