Old 06-13-15, 08:06 PM   #2011
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Not so sure, but I could add also that when patch is enabled clouds and smoke will hurtle over the sky like crazy...

All in all, the patch isn't really useful so you shouldn't bothering your self with it...
Indeed a 60 m/s wind speed is a (very) rare occurrence in real world, and no doubt it is way too much to be handled in game, but supposed that we manage understanding how TDW's patch works, I would be content enough if we could limit maximum wind speed to something like 25-30 m/s, i.e. Beaufort 10-11 (storm to violent storm), or even a bit lesser if need be. Just for reference, consider that stock 15 m/s wind speed limit is equivalent to Beaufort 7 (moderate gale), though most wave mods tend to exagerrate its waves, compensating for such a low limit. Real world full-scale is Beaufort 12 (hurricane) for wind speeds exceeding 32.6 m/s.

Some theoretical considerations now; look at the following link:

The Probability Distribution of Sea Surface Wind Speeds. Part I: Theory and SeaWinds Observations.

Ignore the complicated calculations and skip to the graphs at p. 6. The first graph is representig average annual wind speeds at the sea level. As you can see, there are just a few spots on the world map where it exceeds 12 m/s. The second graph shows the annual deviation from mean wind speed, which on turn never exceeds ca. 5 m/s. By coupling this information with some basic statistics, we get that in the most extreme case (i.e. a theoretical spot on the map where the highest mean and highest standard deviation are coinciding), 84% of the times maximum wind speed won't exceed 17 m/s (= max. mean + 1 max. standard deviation), and 97.75% of the times it won't exceed 22 m/s (= max. mean + 2 max. standard deviations). Indeed this is ignoring skewness and kurtosis (3rd and 4th graphs) which are a measure of how asymmetrical a probability distribution is. Those factors can be simulated only partly in game, by setting different min-max wind speed ranges for each climate area based on season. Doing so would result in a slight increase of the maximum "likely" wind speed estimated above (i.e. not more than 22 m/s in 97.75% of the cases) for some seasons/areas; whence my proposed value of 25-30 m/s which, I repeat, would only apply to the windiest season of a few spots on the world map. A similar approach (it is: simulating asymmetrical wind speed distributions by introducing different max-min ranges for the same area, based on season) is already used in Dynamic Environment, within the 15 m/s limit imposed by the stock game, but increasing it reasonably would allow us to create more variability where needed/possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I think that 60m/s patch doesn't interfere with wind speeds set in your env files but I cant be 100% sure.
This is the worst possible scenery indeed, but there are easy ways to discard/confirm your hypothesis, and this is exactly what I was proposing to test. In order to do it, I only need a couple of volunteers ready to embark themselves on a few weather report patrols with TDW's patch and my upcoming patch enabled. Similar duties were part of the u-boat war after all. What is needed is just a bit of pacience and a good dose of imagination, required for replacing oncle Karl with me as B.d.U...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
Offtopic and really sorry vdr1981

@gap
heya m8 can u tell me how i can edit the map 4320_2160.raw file i wanna add time zone for real navigation
What photo editing program are you using? For sure photoshop is capable of opening/editing/saving raw files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
on topic now i remember about and old discussion about with speed 60/s in fifi's tweak but i can not find that thread anymore
Thank you for the information Sjizzle, let me know if you manage tracking down that thread.

gap off

Last edited by gap; 06-13-15 at 09:05 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote