View Single Post
Old 03-30-17, 07:02 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Reece, do you know why they have developed Linux Mint (which bases heavily on Ubuntu, as far as I understand)? Because it is meant to make migration from Windows to Mint easier than any other Linux distribution. That is its big advantage.

As long as you are no deep-digging computer insider, you simply do not need the additional options that ubuntu may offer, while being able to use many of the Ubuntu-apps nevertheless - as I said Ubuntu and Mint are very close.

Before you frustrate yourself any longer and then turn into one of those voices telling the world that Linux is so difficult and so unkind , I would consider to get myself an introductory book on Ubuntu, or Mint, and then start from scratch. I do not know Ubuntu, but Mint a little bit now, as long as no technical problems show up indeed is easy handling. Linux becomes more difficult to handle once there are problems, because one needs to have far more technical background knowledge on commands and syntax rules than you need under Windows until W7, due to the need to use the command line interpreter then. Could a Windows user all of a sudden get along when needing to use MSDOS? Hardly. That is the one bad news with Linux: you reach this critical point earlier than you use to reach it under W7. The good news is that once running, Linux is more problem-free than Windows, and more reliable, and faster. Also, those knowing the mentioned text interface and its syntax, can repair problems under Linux that in a windows environment are more difficult to solve.

Go to the library or bookshop, and find one of these Linux-for-Dummies book or something like that. A beginner book. Nothing bad in that - i did like that myself, too! Read for an afternoon, and then when you feel prepared well enough and have inhaled some of the basics and differences that indeed also exist, compared to Windows, install new - and do it yourself. What I mean is: be prepared.

Consider Mint over Ubuntu. Robbins will disagree, but he has a far more elaborated perspective and probably can make use of the differences between Ubuntu and Mint, has a need for it. I could not, and have no need for these diferences - and I assume you would not have that need, too. There is a reason why today Mint has overtaken Ubuntu in user numbers. It is the most popular of all the Linux distrubutions.

What I mean, is this: from your descriptions I cannot even form an image of what your situation is, that confusing it is for me.

If you stick with your current Ubuntu, search for the one dominant Ubuntu community forum that must be out there somewhere, to get input on your problems. I know the according Mint communties, and I am certain Ubuntu has pendants to that. Then ask them and describe your status in as much linear clarity (I mean the exact sequence of your actions) and detail as you can. If these guys are like those I met in the Mint forum, they will not stop helping you until they got you set on your right course - and they will react fast.

Good luck!