View Single Post
Old 03-29-17, 12:45 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hello there! Whenever you start a software that can install software you are prompted for your password before you are given administrator privileges, even if you are logged into an administrator level account. This is the same password you use to log into the system on startup.

Ubuntu Software, Synaptic Package Manager and gdebi, along with the command prompt apt programs all require this password. You are asked when you start the program and then until you log off the program your credentials are good.

For instance, if I were to install Krusader from the command prompt I would type "sudo apt-get install Krusader" The system would respond with "Administrator password: " and I would have to enter my password, even though my account has administrator privileges.

Sudo means "supervisor do," apt-get is the name of the program that installs software (even the gui is using this routine), install is what you want apt-get to do and you want it to install Krusader.

I'll check out Krusader when I get home to see if I encounter anything strange there.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-29-17 at 01:10 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote