View Single Post
Old 10-25-16, 02:39 PM   #26
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well, I decided with the publication of Ubuntu 16.10 that I wanted to go with a fresh install on the 500GB hard drive I got from Jeff-Groves (thank you Jeff! WB Black drive. Industrial strength!)

Then I thought how far behind that would put me. Too bad, you need to go with a fresh install every once in awhile. I still have my old install on another drive so I can steal stuff as needed to speed things up....it was time to go for it, even if it meant a pause in posting here.

Then I realized I didn't have a problem, I had the opportunity to show what the very next steps are after installing Ubuntu. Because I was actually doing it I could record what I did and make a better tutorial. Rebuilding from scratch wasn't a bug it was a FEATURE!

So here we are with a newly installed copy of Ubuntu 16.10 installed and a blank desktop. Just ignore that icon for SH4 on the desktop. It isn't there yet! Actually I took the screenshot too late.

Now, how you install software into Ubuntu is a bit different from what you're used to. Yes, you can still download from the Internet at the software developer's website but largely that is completely unnecessary because Linux software, being free, is free to all live together in a great big dormatory we call a repository.

A repository is a big bucket of curated (it's evaluated for functionality, safety, being presently maintained by its publisher) and certified virus and malware free software. Each individual software is provided in the form of a package, and we install them with package managers. The one that comes with Ubuntu as default is the Ubuntu Software Store. It works.

But my favorite is Synaptic Package Manager. I use Ubuntu Software Store to install Synaptic Package Manager the same way you might use Internet Exploder (booooo! Booooo!) to install Firefox or Chrome and then never touch it again. Now one of the first things I did with Synaptic Package Manager was to install VLC Media Player and Shutter screenshot tool. And here's a surprise addition from Neal!

A couple of things I'm not satisfied with are volume control between video and music. I'll fix that by recording the video separately, voice and bgmusic and mixing them in the OpenShot Video Editor before I upload the finished product into You Tube. I'll use the ad-free music from You Tube, but instead of letting You Tube mix it badly I'll do it myself and hope You Tube doesn't immediately tag it for a copyright violation. You never know with those crazy people.

The bottom line is I need to do work on some video to add the audio and it will take awhile. Therefore we'll stop here for now and wait until I have worthwhile videos that will stand the test of time and not just say "see what RR did in fifteen minutes!" More to come.

Be sure to thank Neal for letting us embed video. Please don't quote embedded videos and please don't abuse the privilege of being able to post videos directly into Subsim.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-31-16 at 01:59 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote