View Single Post
Old 01-23-21, 09:07 PM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post
I hope I got the right condescending "my way or the highway" vibe correct in the thread title. I should have found a way to add the word "problematic," too.

I think we can all agree I'm "left-of-center," though I would actually argue I'm more a la carte in my political and social views than anything, but even I find NPR very obviously liberal, and "problematic" (there I go!!). The only people I know who argue NPR is neutral are people I know for a fact to be liberal, sometimes flamingly so.

Here are some of my general impressions of NPR:

Coverage of "racial justice" 24/7. I'm not sure I really have to provide specific examples of this. You turn on your local NPR station, and you'll constantly hear about this. One thing you won't hear about, though: that poor white Appalachian kid who worked really, really hard and got rejected from every single Ivy or Ivy level college/university he applied to even though he may have been his high school valedictorian (and even if he was accepted, he didn't get a full ride on the basis of skin color).

Condescension - I remember listening to one segment where a correspondent goes into a house somewhere in Detroit to talk to the owner about her problems with her mortgage. She has some kind of gathering going on when he does this, and he says: "It's a party in here." Could you imagine him acting identically if it were an alumni meeting of an institution of which he was an alumnus? Another example I remember is when either PowerBall or MegaMillions had a huge jackpot, there was a story about it and the hosts wanted to make damn sure you knew THEY didn't play PB/MM.

Oh, I'm sure I could find more examples, but I think that's enough to get the ball rolling.
Thank you, sir. I share your observation. I have listened to NPR for years but they have gone down the toilet. They patronize the hell out of the left now, it's sickening. I can tune in and in the first 20 seconds, I can tell you exactly what their take on a story is. Those people are screwed up in the head.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote