Old 10-30-20, 08:44 AM   #60
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider_sp View Post
Question to the developers.

I remember back when Cold Waters was released, there were lots of promises but in the end, it turned out that it was just a quick cash grab gamey. Not even torpedoes were properly implemented: There's basically no different, to this day, between a ADCAP and an old Mk37 in regards to countermeasures resistance in this gamey.
The lead programmer on Sea Power is the not the same person who wrote Cold Waters - that person now runs Killerfish Games and works on his War on the Sea WW2 game.

Sea Power is written from scratch on a completely new codebase and has zero in common with Cold Waters - it only looks similar because I was art director and lead artist on both titles, and our other artist also worked on CW.

Anyway, since you've already posted examples of the Cold Waters torpedoes, I will just post an example from Sea Power:

Quote:
// Guidance Types:
// 0 = None
// 1 = IR Homing
// 2 = Semi-Active Radar Homing
// 3 = Active Radar Homing
// 4 = Anti-Radiation Homing
// 5 = Laser-Homing
// 6 = TV-Homing
// 7 = Active Sonar Homing
// 8 = Passive Sonar Homing
// 9 = Wake Homing

GuidanceType=3
InitialFlightPhaseDuration=3.0 // time in seconds where the missile moves straight on without guiding
TerminalHoming=True // If true the weapon has active seeker for terminal homing
MidCourseCorrection=0 // 0 = None, 1 = Radio Command, 2 = Wire Guided
InertialGuidance=True // If true it runs to a preset point before activating guidance
HomeOnJam=False // Immunity to Noise Jamming
SeaSkimming=True // If true, fly at wavetop altitude during entire flight
SeaSkimmingAlt=20.0 // height in feet for sea skimming
TerminalPopup=True // If true, temporarily rise to x ft (see below) to reacquire the target, then dive
MaxPopupAlt=1000.0 // Peak altitude for pop-up maneuver in feet, acquire target
PopupAngle=30.0 // Climb angle for initial pop-up maneuver
DescentAngle=30.0 // After reaching peak altitude, descend at this angle towards target
Lofted=False // If true, the weapon is launched to a high altitude, then dives to reach its target
LoftAngle=0.0 // Climb angle for initial loft
MaxLoftAlt=0.0 // Maximum altitude for lofting
BearingOnlyLaunch=True // If true, the weapon can be fired down a bearing, going active immediately
Accuracy=80 // Base probability of kill value (0...100)
CircularErrorRadius=0.0 // Circular error radius in yard
MaxVelocity=540.0 // Maximum speed in knots
Acceleration=6.0 // Acceleration factor
MaxTurnRate=10.0 // Maximum turnrate in g
SeekerFOV=60.0 // Seeker field-of-view in degrees
SeekerRange=40.0 // Seeker range in nautical miles
LaunchReliability=97 // The lower the value, the greater risk of misfire or accident (0...100)
CounterMeasuresRejection=60 // The lower the value, the greater risk of spoofing by countermeasures (0...100)
NoiseRejection=60 // The lower the value, the greater risk of spoofing by jamming (0...100)
MinLaunchRange=3.5 // Minimum launch range in nautical miles
MaxLaunchRange=40.0 // Maximum launch range in nautical miles
SearchMode=0 // 0 = None, 1 = Snake, 2 = Circle, 3 = Spiral, 4 = Ladder
ReattackMode=0 // 0 = None, 1 = Circle, 2 = Drive-around
LadderParams=0.0,0.0 // First leg, second leg in yard
SpiralSearchParams=0.0,0.0 // Ceiling, floor in yard
As you can see, weapons are modelled much more in-depth.

The game will most resemble Fleet Command, with focus on commanding multiple ships, subs and aircraft. It will definitely be more game than CMO, but more sim than Cold Waters.

That said, I would appreciate it if you stopped using terms like arcade and game as insults. Cold Waters was not a 'cash grab' - it was a labour of love on my part and the culmination of a decades-long desire to make a nuclear sub sim. I resent the cynical implication that we are some sort of con-men for releasing a game that falls short of your definition of a 'proper simulator'.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote