View Single Post
Old 03-18-21, 04:26 AM   #864
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
That big Peterbuilt would be awful getting in and out of NY, Boston and Philly. I created gridlock in lower Manhattan in a three-axle 1-bunk Freightliner one afternoon in '78. Parking is so tight, everyone parks to the very end of the block, disallowing any big-rig to turn the corner to get back to the only bridge outta the Big Apple. The trailer simply won't cheat through the turn. My newby co-driver and I sat 3+ hours till 5PMish until workers started driving home, with our flashers on; cops kept asking if we could move...and we heard on the radio: "...and there is gridlock in lower Manhattan..." When it comes to big rigs... size matters not luxury... and all that gadgetry just means more downtime for repairs.

I thought the same thing when I saw the Peterbilt. Old truckers never die they say, they just get their Peterbilt. I thought the big Peterbilt with extended sleeper might be better suited for episodes of " Ice Road Truckers ."

Then again, I don't think carrying that much extra weight over the Ice roads would be a good idea either. I agree the extra gadgetry isn't really needed but if staying in your truck for extended periods is part of the plan, then some comforts are nice. The Peterbilt was built for that. One thing I would want is a GPS system to navigate alternate routes and quickly find destinations.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-18-21 at 07:22 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote