Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 12-10-16, 11:45 PM   #342
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I am not aware they are doing a train sim. Some of their developers did that Primal The Hunter thing in their free time,w ith limited work only, and that was said from beginning on: that it would be a small distraction only, no main project. I never tried it, though. Sauriers do not interest me.

As long as a company acts transparent with its business model and pricing, I am okay with it - I can know the facts then, and can make my choice for or against them. What is worth it for Peter, must not be worth it for Paul.

My big quarrel with them is that for a subscription model with yearly fees I had too many occasions and long times when playing when I wanted to play was not possible because their damn server or patching routine once again messed it up for me, took endless ammounts of times, or did not work until another couple of days or - in the worst example - months has passed. If you milk coins from people for subscription, you have to make sure your product to which people subscribe works 99.9% of the time - not just 60% or so. I know that I am a drastic exmaple and that for most players it never became so bad - but alone with it I am not, there are others with less patience than me who for this reason have given up the game completely.

So, their pricing never was the issue for me. Nobody forced me to pay what I paid. That often their service did not deliver the intended gaming experience due to technical issues on their side, broken patching routines - that is what pisses me about Expansive Worlds. Plus that I got ignored one time too often, and too long.

On the other side, I can afford it, the money demanded does not kill me, and I also have plenty of great memories with the game, and many nice experiences. When it works, its a wonderful game. For many people, it works better than for me. As I said, I seem to belong to that group of extreme examples. But still - our group is not really small.

Maybe their tech issues are related to the game engine, it is known that that old foreign engine is limiting and that it prevents them from doing some things that they wanted to do, but cannot do with it. Mind you, they picked the game up from somebody else who abandoned the game and went bancrupt over it. The new engine and a game now developed by themselves may improve things for the better. I give them a chance again, therefore, but will observe carefully at first.