Deathblow
Captain

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow

OKO those comments don't even make sense.
you right, I apologize for this very agressive message.
I should have been in a very bad moment when I wrote that

I read so many times this kind of comments, I lost my selfcontrol
I shouldn't had to
sorry dude .....
Actually I've been meaning to recant most of the gripes I had above. That type of negativity is never good and in the end isn't helpful at all.

The fact is... DW is a great game and SCS did a great job. And when a player buys a game they get what they buy and anything more is a bonus... so SCS has lived up to much more than there obligation, that's for sure.

Its also rare for a company with such deep RL expertise to use that in a game... its doubtful that any purely game developer would bother to create such a complex sound model... or even have the expertise to do so. SCS does and did.

... :hmm: ...

Maybe what I'm really dissappointed about is the lack of freedom to mod that so many modern game manufacturers grant, hasn't been granted here. Sure theirs no obligation to do so, but... almost every major game I can think of put out today is granting those priviledges to its fan-based because they know it usually results in good for the games image, their developer reputation, and boost game-appeal. Heck if HalfLife2 hadn't been generous with their engine CounterStrike would have never been developed and the most popular, record breaking online game in history would have never been developed... and what a missed opprotunity would that have been.

The truth is, I believe that DW could possess the ability to become a modern naval sim ultimate... but I really doubt that SCS has the time and resources to take it to its end potential, nothing against their stellar abilities, but instead due to the fact that as a game developer, their time, budgets, and time-investment vs profit returns will neccesitate their end product... and it will take the efforts of the internet community (a powerfully creative force when fully unleashed) contributing upgrades (like LW and A and JSteed, etc) to slowly develope DW to its true max... we're never been closer to the opprotunity to develope "the perfect naval sim", but it won't get their with most of the game files on lock down.

So the clamps that SCS has put on modding feels a little like... :hmm: ... like walking into a packed movie theater for a movie about to start, seeing one seat left open in the whole theater, walking up to the seat and when your finally there the person next to the seat balks "No you can't sit there... I'm going to save that seat for someone that's not here yet!" *grrrrrrrrrrrrr*

So... I understand that SCS is trying to maintain its profit potential, and that somewhere, someone higher up has probably said that open source modding can't be allowed because it will hurt them eventually... but I disagree. I think that it will actually help them and make this game even more popular with a more loyal fan-base, and a great fan rapport. When SCS thinks of "future projects" it should not be concentrating on rehashing the DW engine with new systems into a game to sell as its next game "selling point" (selling its next game as the DW engine but with Burke as a controllable unit for example), but instead should be concentrating on producing engine upgrades to the object physics... water physics...radar physics...weather physics...damage physics... and not to mention graphics for future additions to its development repetoire (with each successive game being better and more realistic than the last)

That's just how I feel in the matter. Is it a more daunting task? Probably...and maybe SCS feels that way too underneath, but can't act on it because it runs into the same budget/development constraits all over again, with construction of new engines every few years beyond their profit making limits...but one can only hope.

Last edited by Deathblow; 05-29-06 at 07:41 AM.
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote