Old 11-18-19, 06:32 AM   #1602
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
Yeah, it was a matter of my situation.

Being a Steam users there are some hoops to jump through to get HSIE et al up and running.

I had just got the new PC and am happy to do without those nice add-ons as:

1. I don't have a traditional DVD of SHIII which makes the process easier.
2. I used to play the old board wargames so I am used to self imposed rules. Example: when one can load torpedoes; when they can be brought in from deck storage and a variety of of other things.
3. If you look a few posts back you will note I did that hack with LSH to get HSIE in an NYGM environment on my last PC.
4. The above will show someone new to the game, let us say someone who just downloaded SHIII on Steam and loves the history, some encouragement.
5. Interesting with the latest '17 update to NYGM, without the HSIE et al..... the convoy, wolfpack setup works pretty well. I have run into convoys that have been beat up by the AI wolfpack and sometimes in complete disorder.
6. Anyway, I am enjoying the heck out of it. Someday if I get a DVD I will set it up properly with the HSIE et al.

Nothing wrong with playing the game the way one wants to ! I'm doing the same.
Heck, I have a vanilla campaign going with Hsie/Stiebler and a few other patches that some would think I'm crazy doing, but it's great fun too (I'm not a fan of the slow sinking mod in some mega-mods, i.e.).
For that matter, I have another going in AOD.

Regarding #2 and #5 of your post:

2. Me too ! Still have some old boardgames. I actually don't use the Hsie torpedo loading options, but self-impose them myself. I also don't attack with windspeeds above 10 m/s though the game allows it. Converting those windspeeds to the Beaufort scale would have made attacks impossible in real life I believe.
Only surface attacks at night though the game allows otherwise, etc.

I have similar rules I use in AOD.

5. I've experienced this too, with the Hsie/Stiebler patches fwiw. As you probably know, NYGM has a few convoys with a wolfpack attached that becomes activated when the player is near enough.

I've never bothered with Steam. Don't think I ever will; seems to cause nothing but problems.

Have fun !