View Single Post
Old 07-11-21, 10:51 AM   #7501
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I think its time to move beyond the "Inzidenzrate" (incidence rate?) in countries with signficant vaccination numbers.

Herd immunity will nowhere ever be reached. Not with this virus. I never believed that.
But one would expect that with vaccination, the number of infections might be however it is, but the percentages of the infected being admissioned to hospital, going to die, or even just forming noticable symptoms, to be much lower. And an infection that does not translate into a noticable cause with symptoms, in the bigger picture does not weigh that heavy anymore. As long as infections saw the past admission to hospital rates, there was the risk of ICUs getting overwhelmed. If the vaccination campaign has made any sense, this should no longer be the case anymore.

On the other hand stands the enormous economic costs if going into lockdown for a fourth time. Many smaller businesses cannot afford that anymore, and will break under that burden. This will change the looks of town and city centres forever. It will ruin many cities of smaller proprotions and towns who already are overdebted. It will form financial fallout of even worse proportions than it already did. And it will increase the appetite of politicians to abuse the politics of fear for granting the state ever more powers and dismantling freedoms not temporarily, but forever. To allow governing the people more comfortably from top to down.

We should concentrate on hospital admission rates instead of incidence rates, therefore.

The price is that if a new mutation appears (and there will be more mutations), reaction times will be smaller for the health authorities, if need for measures may be. The price also is leaving out considering Long Covid a desease and complication serious enough to justify serious public health measures and even more ecnomic carnage.

This decision cannot be made continent-wide, say all of the US or all of the EU. It must be made for smaller regions, say federal states (US) and nations (EU).

Non-vaccinated should be considered to be prohibited from super-regional travelling via public transport. Also, foreigners from other countries with low vaccination rates, should be prohibited to enter - this should have been the case constantly since over one year already, not just a few countries doing that and for only some weeks or months. This is what quarantines are about, and no, you cannot make it right for just every single individual's taste. The bigger picture is what counts here.

I always knew that the time when vaccination-refusers must be pressed and "discriminated", would come. I think it has come. Because if we live by the majority principle, it cannot be that a shrinking minority demands the growing majority to endlessly limit itself on behalf of protecting the minority's demand to not be discriminated in such a way. The burden of consequences must be reversed if the majority-minority ratio between those with and those witout vaccination flips over.

Masks should remain mandatory in enclosed compartments like supermarkets and non-open public spaces (office buildings etc), no mmatter the vaccination status. Else you need to control in person every single individual walking somewhere, and that is not practicable. Shops and warehouses should control - by entry restrictions - the number of customers in their rooms, depending on the size of the warehouse or shop. The contorl on entry of vaccinaiton passports or test results done in recent hours, as well as click-and-meet, should be scrapped, I always considered it to be duds. Personally, I am willing to wait a minute or two at the entry until somebody else has left, but making a date via internet in advance to go into a shop - I have not done that and I will not do that. Too complicated. The type of shop should be irrelevant. The room size, the sqm, should be the only criterion deciding how many customers can be inside at any time. Good air exchange or filtering should be mandatory, of course.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-11-21 at 11:05 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote